23 September 2023
Love Food Hate Waste NZ
6 banana peels (brown ones are fine)
1/2 cup water
4 eggs, separated
2 ½ cups white sugar
3 cups plain flour
2 tbs baking powder
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Grease a 20cm cake tin
- Put the banana peels and half a cup of water into a blender or food processor. Blend them until they turn into a smooth, dark brown, aromatic mush. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, yolks, and sugar in a mixing bowl until it is all combined —it should have the consistency of fluffy scrambled eggs.
- Add the banana peels, the flour, and the baking powder, and mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy, and gently fold into the mixture, careful to preserve the air
- Pour into a cake pan. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the cake passes the toothpick test.
Looking for ideas and recipes for reducing food waste and making the most of your food? Find inspiration from Love Food Hate Waste NZ at www.lovefoodhatewaste.co.nz