Margaret’s deliciously simple ring fruit cake
01 June 2023
- 110 grams butter (softened)
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1 egg
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sultanas or mixed fruit
- ½ cup chopped preserved ginger
- Cream butter and sugar, add lemon rind and egg, flour and milk and baking soda, fruit and ginger.
- Line the base of your tin with oiled baking paper - heat oven to 180 degrees and cook for around 1 hour in a ring tin. Depending on the heat of your oven, could be less.
- When cooked turn out onto a plate and pour over the juice of a lemon – then sprinkle with ¼ cup of raw sugar.