River’s tasty tiramisu
Tried, tested and found to be delicious! River Wilner, Kitchen Manager at Metlifecare’s Longford Park Village, developed this recipe because she found a lot of tiramisu recipes to be quite complicated and she wanted a no-fuss easy to achieve recipe that still has the traditional flavour.
This recipe will also feature on the Autumn Metlifecare Dietician Approved Menu for care homes and serviced apartment residents.
- 1 packet sponge fingers (200g Savoiardi)
- 500g cold custard (River uses Meadowfresh ‘Thick and Creamy’ custard)
- 500g mascarpone
- 150 strong espresso coffee or 4 tsp good quality instant coffee dissolved in 150ml boiling water and cooled
- 200ml Italian marsala wine (River used Lombardo brand) or coffee liqueur if you want more of a kick!
- 250ml cream, whipped with ½ tsp of vanilla essence and 1 tsp icing sugar
- 20g dark chocolate, grated
- Cocoa powder to dust
- You will need a serving dish or tray capable of holding a 2-litre volume. A trifle bowl can work well.
- There’s no need to grease or line your serving dish.
- Cut sponge fingers in half and set aside.
- Mix the coffee and marsala wine (or liqueur) together in a jug
- Whisk together mascarpone and custard in a bowl until well combined.
- Put a layer of the sponge fingers in the base of the serving dish and sprinkle with the coffee mix.
- Spread with a layer of the mascarpone mix.
- Repeat with the sponge fingers and mascarpone until all used up, finishing with mascarpone mix on top.
- Whip the cream with the vanilla and icing sugar and spread over the top.
- Dust with a thick dusting of cocoa powder (use a sieve) and sprinkle with grated dark chocolate.
Serve and enjoy!