Shrimp and surimi seafood cocktail with avocado Recipe
Recipe of the month:
This month’s recipe was provided by River Wilner, Metlifecare’s Longford Park Village kitchen manager, who says this shrimp and surimi seafood cocktail goes down a treat with residents. It looks and sounds delicious! This colourful summer dish also features in the Metlifecare dietician-approved menu.
Here’s the recipe for those who would like to try it at home.
Shrimp and surimi seafood cocktail with avocado
To serve six people
- 400g cooked and peeled shrimp
- 400g surimi
- 2 avocados
- 1 fancy red or green lettuce
- 2 lemons
- 50ml tomato sauce
- 70ml mayonnaise
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 1tsp very finely chopped parsley
- A few drops of tabasco sauce (optional)
- Mix together the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, juice of one of the lemons, horseradish, finely chopped parsley and tabasco sauce, if using. Keep chilled.
- If using raw or precooked frozen shrimp, defrost overnight in the fridge. Remove tails and shells if necessary.
- To cook, bring salted water to the boil and drop the shrimp in. Cook for only one minute, then remove from heat. Leave in the water for a further minute, then drain and cool quickly – either in an ice bath or under cold, running water.
- Chop the surimi and mix with the shrimp and cocktail sauce. Chill.
- Wash the lettuce and break leaves into pieces.
- Peel and slice the avocados.
- Cut the lemon into wedges.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on chilled plates with seafood mix. Garnish with the avocado slices and a wedge of lemon. Enjoy!