Assisted living in a Serviced Apartment or Hospital
Even for the most able retiree, there comes a time when help is needed with the basics of day-to-day living. Family members often step in to provide support, however there is always a limit to how much time can be committed and the level of care they can provide.
Somervale’s state-of-the-art care home is now open and offering a new standard in aged care in the Bay of Plenty. Based on a more integrative homestead model of care, this is vastly different from the traditional institutional model offered in many care homes. Residents live in smaller groups of no more than 12 care suites, with each group having their own kitchen, dining room and lounge area reflecting a modern home environment. The boutique-like care home, with its friendlier layout, creates a much more intimate and personalised environment for the residents and their families.
For more details about our new care home, please contact Sharon on 07 572 9095 who can discuss the care suite options available, or contact Elizabeth on 07 547 4175 to find out more about our new standard in serviced apartments and the service support packages which come with them.
The best of both worlds – independence with extra support. This is where serviced apartment living at Somervale can provide the ideal answer. We offer a whole host of services, 24-hour support and a quality of life that you or your loved one truly deserve. While you may be at a stage where you need a little more support, you can keep the spirit of independence, conversely your family can rest assured that you are always in safe hands and in good company. For advice on how to talk to your loved one about moving into a retirement village click here.
What is a serviced apartment?
A serviced apartment at Somervale is a quality home designed for someone who values their independence but would benefit from having access to additional services. Home for them will be a comfortable, low maintenance apartment situated very closely to the hub of the village and a sunny lounge to interact with other residents and staff. For peace of mind and regular engagement they will enjoy:
- 24-hour emergency call system
- Health monitoring assessment by a registered nurse
- Laundry including weekly laundering of bed linen and towels, and a bag of personal laundry, all picked up, washed, dried, folded and returned back to you
- Weekly cleaning including bathroom, kitchenette, floors, vacuuming, dusting and removal of rubbish
- Morning & afternoon tea available daily
- Nutritious meals including breakfast, 2-course midday meal and evening meal
- Social programme designed specifically for serviced apartment residents
- External house maintenance and house insurance
- Rates including council and water rates
- Craft & games room to spend quality time with fellow residents
- Dining room close to your home to enjoy social meal times
- Library full of great books and lounge to relax in
- Pétanque terrain, spa & swimming pool to keep active
- Transport to assist with shopping
Care home with residential hospital level care on-site
We advocate ‘resident directed care’ where the care is led by our resident’s choices with an emphasis on providing quality of life.
For a greater daily support we offer a full continuum of care with hospital level care on-site. A 40-bed hospital, offering 24-hour care, offers a safe and comfortable environment. The hospital is in the same complex as our serviced apartments and near to the villas, so partners can visit easily. You can familiarise yourself with the care and services offered in our Care Home here.
Great care comes from great people.
At Somervale we pride ourselves on the quality of our staff because they make such a big difference to how your loved one live. We look for staff with the right skills and relevant hands-on experience, but there is more to it than that. This job is about relationships and earning trust, so we handpick staff who care deeply about our residents. For them, treating people with dignity and respect comes naturally – it comes from the heart.
Our care home is certified and audited to provide safe and appropriate care for our residents with Ministry of Health Audit reports available here.
We have the skills and experience.
- Somervale is a member of the Retirement Village Association
- All our nursing staff are registered with the NZ Nursing Council and hold a current Practising Certificate
- Our home support workers have access to Aged Care Education training programmes
- Metlifecare has contracts with some local District Health Boards to provide excellent care for our residents