Creating your own history
As part of an unprecedented event in history, we’ll all currently creating history just by doing our bit and staying indoors!
However, the current need to stay in ‘hibernation’ also creates the perfect opportunity to create your own personal bit of history; your memoir! Containing lots of information about your life, your wisdom, experiences, poems, stories and family recipes, this would make an amazing gift for family and friends and a record of many important moments in your life.
Working on a keepsake book – a little at a time – could be a great daily project to be passed on as a gift to future generations, and we’d love to help you create it.
The hardest part is sometimes knowing where to start and trying to imagine what family and friends would like to know. That’s where our ‘Question of the Day’ comes in.
We have formulated a list of questions just like those used by the professional keepsake book services which will help prompt some great stories for your memoir. We’ve included the full list here.
However, it can sometimes help to just do a little a day to break down a big task. That’s why every day, we’ll post just one of these questions in the virtual village activity calendar for you to ponder and write your answer. If you join in every day, by the end of the hibernation period, you’ll have a wealth of information which can be used to create an amazing keepsake for your family. You can present your written notes, or type them up and give them to family. As another option, at the end of the challenge, we’ll provide a list of services who can help to professionally print your book.
Question of the Day – full list
- What were your Grandparents like?
- Have you ever written a poem or story?
- Who taught you to drive and what car did you learn in?
- Who were your friends at primary school?
- Who was your favourite teacher?
- What was your first paid job and how did you get it?
- What makes you happy?
- What was your first big trip?
- What is one of your favourite children’s stories?
- What were your favourite toys as a child?
- Where did you go on holidays as a child?
- What are your favourite foods?
- What was your Mother like when you were a child?
- What are some memories of your Father when you were a child?
- Who was your first crush?
- What was the first movie you saw at the cinema? Who did you go with?
- What makes a place a home?
- What is your favourite ‘feel good’ activity?
- What sweet treat was your favourite as a child?
- If you’re married or have a partner, how did you first meet?
- How did you celebrate your 21st birthday?
- What matters the most when it comes to your wellbeing?
- Where is your favourite place to holiday or visit?
- Do you have a favourite family recipe you can share?
- Tell us about your experience of the COVID-19 crisis so far – what difference has it made to your daily life?
- Did you have siblings? Tell us about their best qualities.
- Tell us about the best day(s) of your life
- What is your most prized possession and why?
- Is there anything about you or your life you wish you could change?
- Tell us about your proudest moment.