Avi's apple pie
28 November 2023
4 large apples, peeled and cored
1/2 cup white sugar + 2 tsp extra for sprinkling on top
2 tbsp standard grade flour
1/4 tsp ground cloves
25g butter, melted
500g of sweet shortcrust pastry
Fresh milk or water
1. Preheat oven to 170°C bake.
2. Thinly slice the apples. Combine sugar (1/2 cup), flour and ground cloves in a large bowl and mix to combine. Add the apple slices and toss to coat. Drizzle butter over the top and mix in.
3. Grease a 20cm round pie dish. Cut one of the pastry sheets into a circle slightly larger than the pie dish (this is for the top of the pie).
Cut strips from the second pastry sheet to line the sides of the pie dish. Press gently onto the sides and brush the tops of the strips with a little water.
4. Spoon the apples into the dish, cover with the pastry circle and press the pastry edges firmly together to seal.
5. Trim away the excess pastry and crimp the edges by pinching with your fingers. Brush the whole top of the pie lightly with milk or water.
Cut decorative shapes from the bits of leftover pastry and place these on top of the pie.
Carefully brush the shapes with a little milk or water. Sprinkle pie with the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar. Cut a few steam holes in the pastry.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, until the pastry, is golden brown and the apples are tender.
This pie is delicious served warm with ice cream, whipped cream, or Greek yoghurt. Enjoy!