- “health information” has the meaning given to that term in the Code;
- “personal information” means any information about an identifiable individual, including health information;
- “Prospects” means individuals who are not Residents but have expressed interest in, or registered for, our website, products or services;
- “Residents” means individuals who are resident at any of our retirement facilities;
- “we”, “us” and “our” means Metlifecare Limited, and may include any company within the group of companies of which Metlifecare Limited forms part, as well as its affiliates, officers and employees;
- “website” means https://www.metlifecare.co.nz and any other website, internet property or application (including any applications for mobile devices) that are owned or operated by us; and
- “you” and “your” means you, whether an individual, company, or other form of entity, and includes Prospects and Residents (as applicable) and includes your authorised representatives (including pursuant to a power of attorney) as the context may require.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
We may amend this policy from time to time by posting the revised policy on our website. We will provide you with reasonable notice before we implement any changes by email or by posting a statement on our website. If you do not agree to any amendments, you should notify us at email@example.com, and we will arrange for your personal information to be removed.
WHO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM
We collect personal information about you in order to enable you to register for our services and to use our websites and any products or services we provide to you. If you provide it to us, the personal information we collect will include:
- your name, email address and telephone number;
- your address;
- your age/date of birth;
- your gender, ethnicity, job title and organisation;
- for Residents, details of your bank account;
- details of any enquiries you have made to us, and our response to you; and
- any other personal information requested by us.
If you provide it to us, we will also collect health information from you, including your medical history, medication and prescription details, clinical notes, and health services you are currently being or have been provided, but only to the extent necessary that such health information is required for us to provide you with the requested products or services.
We collect personal information about you from:
- you, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), or when you buy or use our products or services; and
- third parties, where you have authorised us to collect information in this way or the information is publicly available.
If you do not provide us with certain information where required, you may not be able to access or use some parts or all of our website, or our products or services.
We may also use CCTV cameras to record footage at our facilities. This footage may be considered as personal information under the Act. We may use CCTV footage for the purposes of detecting criminal behaviour at our facilities or to monitor the safety and security of our Residents, staff and property and of visitors to our facilities.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The personal information that we collect will only be collected, used, stored, and retained by us:
- to verify your identity;
- to contact you about registration and/or allow you to register for, and use, our services and products;
- subject to your consent (in accordance with the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007), to market and promote our services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose);
- to improve the services and products that we provide to you;
- to undertake credit checks on you (if necessary);
- to bill you and to collect money that you owe us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions;
- to respond to communications from you, including in relation to requests, enquiries, or complaints, or to otherwise contact you about our products or services;
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (provided that any information will be analysed on an anonymised basis and aggregated form) in a manner permitted by New Zealand law;
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim for any other purpose authorised by you or by the Act or Code; and
- to carry out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement or in connection with legal proceedings, crime, or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution.
We will not use personal information for the purposes other than described above, unless we have your consent to do so, or, we are required to do so by law.
Where you consent to us using your personal information to market and promote our services and products, you can opt out at any time by notifying us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking the unsubscribe function included in our marketing communications.
COLLECTION OF IMAGES AND PHOTOGRAPHS
DISCLOSING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- another company within the Metlifecare group, which may use your information for the same purposes as us;
- our service providers or any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products;
- a credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you;
- other third parties, in an aggregated and anonymised form for statistical purposes;
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority);
- any other person authorised by the Act, Code or any other law (e.g. a law enforcement agency); and
- your authorised representatives and any other person authorised by you.
PROTECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we hold is accurate, complete, up to date, stored in a secure environment and safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse in accordance with our obligations under the Act.
Some of the personal information we collect and hold about you may be considered particularly ‘sensitive’ personal information and subject to additional protections and requirements under New Zealand law (such as health information). Where required by law or regulation, we will handle this type of personal information to a higher standard than other types of personal information due to its special nature.
Although we take reasonable steps to ensure personal information in our possession is protected and held securely, we do not make any warranties in relation to the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us and we are not responsible for theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your personal information where our own security measures have been breached. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk.
Certain personal information may be transferred and/or stored outside of New Zealand by our third-party service providers, such as Marketo who hosts our data in their servers in Sydney, Australia. Where personal information is transferred outside of New Zealand we will ensure that such third party is subject to comparable privacy laws to New Zealand or is required to protect the personal information in a way that is comparable to New Zealand’s privacy laws.
ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act or Code, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information that we hold. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at email@example.com Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
We may charge you reasonable costs for providing you copies of your personal information or correcting that information, subject to the Act and the Code.
USE OF OUR WEBSITE
If you post any personal information on our website’s message board or chat room, you acknowledge and agree that the information you post is publicly available and may be read or used by other users of our website.
HOW TO CONTACT US